Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
GIS Mapping Website
In order to access the online GIS and tax assessment website, click on the Tax Records Search link on the left. Tax assessment data and GIS map data (shapefiles) are available for download by clicking on the links in the Data File section below.
File Type(s) & GIS Information
- All GIS data is provided in ESRI shapefile format compressed into zip files. This data is made available without charge for download. Any special data requests may involve a charge for setup time and media costs.
- All digital data is in ESRI shapefile format projected in the NC State Plane Coordinate System (3200) NAD 83 datum, US Survey Feet.
- FGDC-compliant metadata will be posted to this site when it is completed.
- Due to the large size of the images, digital orthophotography is not available for download. Please contact Halifax County GIS for more information on purchasing this data on CD.
- Other mapping layers may be made available on this site in the future.
Downloading Halifax County GIS data from this web page indicates acceptance of the following disclaimer.
Halifax County cadastral data is prepared for the inventory of real property found within this jurisdiction and is compiled from recorded deeds, plats, and other public records and data. Users of this data are hereby notified that the aforementioned public primary information sources should be consulted for verification of the legal responsibility for the information contained in the data or any inappropriate use thereof. Non-cadastral data made available on this site is compiled for the use of Halifax County personnel for various purposes. The data is placed here for informational purposes only. Halifax County assumes no legal responsibility for the information contained in the data or any inappropriate use thereof.
The Halifax GIS Data (ZIP) file contains countywide shapefiles of both tax parcels and street centerlines. Limited data from the county’s tax assessment database is joined to the parcels layer. An excel file describing the assessment data is also included in the ZIP file. The road centerlines layer includes address ranges.
The Halifax Tax Data (ZIP) file includes data exported from the tax assessment database. This ZIP file contains several files and includes much more data than the limited amount of assessment data joined to the parcel shapefile. An excel file describing the data included in the assessment files is also included in the ZIP file.
For More Information
Please contact Doris Hawkins if you have questions regarding this data.