Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
GIS Mapping Website
In order to access the online GIS and tax assessment website, click on the Tax Records Search link on the left. Tax assessment data and GIS map data (shapefiles) are available for download by clicking on the links in the Data File section below.
File Type(s) & GIS Information
All GIS data is provided in ESRI shapefile format compressed into a zip files (NAD 1983 HARN State Plane). This data is made available without charge for download. Any special data requests may involve an additional charge.
Due to the large size of the images, digital orthophotography is not available for download. Please contact Halifax County GIS for more information on how to acquire this data. Other mapping layers may be made available on this site in the future.
Downloading Halifax County GIS data from this web page indicates acceptance of the following disclaimer.
Halifax County cadastral data is prepared for the inventory of real property found within this jurisdiction and is compiled from recorded deeds, plats, and other public records and data. Users of this data are hereby notified that the aforementioned public primary information sources should be consulted for verification of the legal responsibility for the information contained in the data or any inappropriate use thereof. Non-cadastral data made available on this site is compiled for the use of Halifax County personnel for various purposes. The data is placed here for informational purposes only. Halifax County assumes no legal responsibility for the information contained in the data or any inappropriate use thereof.
The Halifax GIS Data (ZIP) file contains countywide shapefiles of the most-requested GIS data and includes the following layers:
· citylim – polygon shapefile of municipal boundaries maintained by Halifax County staff
· cline – line shapefile of road centerlines maintained by Halifax County staff
· county_boundary – polygon shapefile from CGIA
· county_commissioner_districts – polygon shapefile of 3 County Commissioner districts maintained by Halifax County staff (other 3 Commissioners are at-large countywide seats)
· esn – polygon shapefile of emergency service number areas maintained by Halifax County staff (ems, law and fire response)
· flood_panels – polygon shapefile of MapFIRMPan from the North Carolina Floodplain Mapping Program (see metadata)
· flood_zones - polygon shapefile of MapFldHazAr from the North Carolina Floodplain Mapping Program (see metadata)
· parcels_2019_final – polygon shapefile of the final 2019 tax year parcels map joined with tax assessment data maintained by Halifax County staff; see the file "Parcels_tax_data_field_descriptions.xlsx" for more information on the included assessment data
· parcels_2019_final_map_only – polygon shapefile of the final 2019 tax year parcels map maintained by Halifax County staff; tax assessment data is not included
· parcels_010720_map_only – polygon shapefile of the parcels maps as it exists on 01-07-2020 maintained by Halifax County staff; this mapping is incomplete for the 2020 tax year as not all deeds and/or plats recorded from 01-01-2019 to 12-31-2019 have been mapped as of this date
· precincts – polygon shapefile of election precincts maintained by Halifax County staff
· school_districts – polygon shapefile of tax districts for Halifax County Schools. Roanoke Rapids Graded Schools and Weldon City Schools maintained by Halifax County staff
· tax_charge_codes – polygon shapefile of tax district combinations maintained by Halifax County staff; these polygons reflect combinations for municipalities, fire districts and school districts
· townships – polygon shapefile of the 12 townships maintained by Halifax County
The Halifax Tax Data (ZIP) file includes data exported from the tax assessment database. This ZIP file contains several files and includes much more data than the limited amount of assessment data joined to the parcel shapefile. An excel file describing the data included in the assessment files is also included in the ZIP file.
For More Information
Please contact Doris Hawkins if you have questions regarding this data.