The 10 essential public health services, as promulgated by the United States Public Health Service and Institutes of Medicine, are:
- Monitor health status to identify community health problems.
- Diagnose and investigate health problems and health hazards in the community.
- Inform, educate, and empower people about health issues.
- Mobilize community partnerships to identify and solve health problems.
- Develop policies and plans that support individual and community health efforts.
- Support laws and regulations that protect health and ensure safety.
- Link people to needed personal health services and assure the provision of health care when otherwise unavailable.
- Assure a competent public and personal health care workforce.
- Evaluate effectiveness, accessibility, and quality of personal and population-based health services.
- Research for new insights and innovative solutions to health problems.
Halifax County Health Department services include:
- Animal Control
- Breast and Cervical Cancer Screenings
- Child Health Services
- Communicable Disease Control
- Diabetes Management
- Environmental Health Services
- Family Planning Services
- Health Education
- Home Health and Hospice Services
- Kindergarten Screenings
- Maternal Health Services
- Nutritional Services
- Vital Statistics
Halifax County Public Health System, in partnership with our community, will educate, protect, and empower the citizens of Halifax County to lead healthier, more fulfilling lives.
With caring hearts and helping hands, we will achieve excellence in Health Care and Environmental Health services.